Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A Sports Column for Non-Sports Fans

Dropping in for a quick note.

I'm a sports nut. I know this. I won't say I wear the badge proudly -- I own very few sports-related t-shirts or sweatshirts (and quite a few theatre (especially Shakespeare) themed ones.

But I watch Sportscenter pretty religiously, and check out espn.com quite a bit.

And I do it religiously on Tuesdays during the football season.

Tuesday Morning Quarterback isn't just a review of the previous two days' pro football contests. In today's column, for instance, in addition to his "Cheerleader of the Week," his recounting of the best and worst plays of the weekend and his obscure college football scores of the week, he talked about the politics of blame, books that might help with the "Why am I here?" questions (for T.O. of course ... but a serious and interesting list nonetheless), the crisis mentality of newscasters, the death of one of the last big-city afternoon newspapers, North Korean public relations, and airline and SUV safety issues.

Try finding that in any other sports column!

No comments: