Thursday, October 19, 2006

Geek Fun of the Day

I'm behind the curve on a lot of these things, so my erudite and hip readers will already know about this, but I'm having way too much fun and have to share.

Coolest thing I've come across in a long time: Netvibes.

In case your erudition or hipness has not led you in this direction, let me tell you a bit about Netvibes.

Netvibes allows you to create your own home page that you can access anywhere you are and on any computer you happen to find yourself at. For instance, my home page has four tabs: the main page with my bookmarks and frequenty visited pages just a click away (and that open in a new window), five news feeds that I particularly enjoy (Snopes, Washington Post, BBC, ESPN, etc.), a search pane that does searches on four different search engines (and tabs the responses so you can flip from one to the other), weather, and an e-mail connection (that I"m not quite technologically savvy enough to get working properly).

Another tab has comic strips (Garfield and Dilbert) as well as a Sudoku puzzle. Another has the tech geek newsfeeds.

And the final (and the really cool thing) has my stickie notes. Yes, I can make a note (perhaps on a blog entry) on my work computer and have it when I hop on the Internet at home! Heck, when I'm travelling, I can make a note of something on a random computer in a library and have that note when I get home.

Ultra cool ... at least to my little geek brain.

No comments: