Saturday, August 19, 2006

The World Is A Better Place Today Than Yesterday

I watch a lot of sports on TV. A LOT. This means that very few personalities actually cause me to sit up and take notice, or delay turning off the TV if I am about to leave the house.

Actually, there's one. And one only. Peter Gammons.

For those who aren't sports fans, Peter Gammons changed the way baseball was covered -- from his exhaustive rolodex to his weekly notes column. Whenever he opened his mouth, he said something valuable, insightful or funny for the baseball fan.

Earlier this summer, Peter suffered a brain aneurysm. Just as the baseball season was heating up, he was in a hospital fighting for his life. In July, he left the hospital quietly and with a plea from his wife for privacy.

Most of the baseball season has gone by without him ... and the baseball season is lessened by that absence.

But today, the sun shone a bit brighter on baseball. Today, Peter Gammons visited a ballpark.

You know how life just feels better when things are in their proper place? Life feels a hell of a lot better today.

3 comments:

Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

I love the miscellanyness of your blog. I don't follow baseball and I still got a contact high from your happiness!

Miscellany Miss said...

My first comment!!!!

Yay! (Now if I could just figure out why my counter still says no one has visited my blog -- did you respond using mind powers that only Pookses have?)

And thank you.

Miscellany Miss said...

Okay, you'd commented once before. Oops.