Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Slip Sliding Away

Curling.

Yeah, I got hooked badly this past February. I got hooked four years before. And now, it seems, a lot of people are getting one crucial fact: it ain't as easy as it looks.

Today's evidence: The Chicago Sports Review. Yes, another sports journalist tried curling ... and failed. But he found the bar.

One day, I will write my rapturous piece about why I adore the sport, why I spend good money to watch morning draws of events that don't matter much on CurlTV, and why I actually spent one entire afternoon listening to a curling match from a wi-fi hotspot at Panera Bread.

Today, since my time is very short, I will say this: the athletes look like real human beings and seem to honestly do it for the love of the game (they sure aren't getting rich), not one Olympic curler's name was mentioned in the context that say, a Bode Miller's was, and it's a sport that requires actual thought.

Okay, and the skintight Nike shirts worn by the US men's team during the Olympics didn't hurt. There, I said it. Happy?

No comments: